Walsh Post 432 History

 

 

The Terril American Legion Walsh Post 432 was granted it's charter on February 10th, 1920. The original charter members were:  Peter Clausen, Michael Joyce, Sophus Kanstrup, Elmer Kriss, Clarence Mathieson, Peter Meggers, Fred Miller, L.H. Nachtigall, Joe Price, Oliver Reno, William Rohlf, Alfred Schooley, Robert Todd, Burr Wright and E.C.Wymore.

The first Legionaries decided to name the Post in honor of, Corporal James Walsh, who was one of the first to enlist from the Terril Community and was also the first one to make the supreme sacrifice. He enlisted at Spencer, Iowa on June 8, 1917 and served in Battery b. 10th Field Artillery, and was at the time he met his death stationed at Mount Saint Pierre, France. He was assisting in laying a telephone wire to the East of Mount Saint Pierre. His work made it necessary to be exposed constantly to the severe shell fire. It was in this act that he was struck by a fragment and so severely wounded that he passed away while being conveyed to the field Hospital on July 24, 1918. Corporal Walsh's body rested for two years in France, after which it was brought to the United Stated and buried at Mount Caret Cemetery, at Chicago, Illinois on July 31, 1921.

In 1920 the biggest problems facing the legion was money and where to have meetings. The first meetings were held on the first & third Tuesday of the month but were later changed to Wednesday so the meetings wouldn't conflict with the picture show. Meetings were held where ever the price was right, the basement of the Terril Savings Bank, Terril Hotel, Anderson Lumber and during the winter a room was shared with the Commercial Club. Dues at this time were $2.00.

January 18, 1921.  At sick call, a report was made by Com.  Schooley regarding the condition of Comrade J.P. Judkins and his small daughter who are confined with the grippe. The commander suggested that members of this post volunteer their services to take turns in assisting at the Judkins house for several nights was met by a hearty response, a number of men placing their names on a list for call. Wm. Cruse volunteer to spend the first night there. After a few nights the Legionaries felt the Judkins needed more help than they were qualified to provide.

February 7, 1921.  A letter was read from Miss Sadie Anderson, a nurse whom the Legion engaged to take care on Comrade JP Judkins during the worst part of his illness. The letter was in answer to Com. Schooley's request that she foreword her bill to the Legion for payment. Her reply was to the effect that she was glad to help the ex-service men in whatever way was possible and that as far as she was concerned the account was square.

As a way to raise money the Legion sponsored athletic shows (boxing matches). The first one was put on in Jan. 1922 with the legion realizing $ 86.50.  In Jan. 1923 the post bought one set of boxing gloves and punching bag to be used at the athletic shows.

In March of 1924 the legion decided to hold it's first dance, weather permitting. They were concerned with conditions of the roads (dirt), also the style of dance, masquerade, hand line, public or social. In July of 1924 the legion sponsored the film "The Whipping Boss" as a fund raiser. Mrs. Aden agreed to lower her prices from $ .30 for two nights. 1924 was also the first year the legion purchased insurance.

December 7th, 1941 was a day that would drastically change the town and families of Terril for the next four years and some, for the rest of their lives. This war would take almost every available young man in Terril from his family. The ladies had to do the work that was normally done by the men. Everyone did their part from baking cookies to send to the boys, to buying war bonds.

 

This is a list of the Terril men that gave their lives so you and I can enjoy every freedom we have today.

Pvt. John Anderson; May 14, 1945, in Germany

Sgt. Robert Christenson; Feb. 1944, Windover, Utah

Sgt. Leroy Cruse; May 1944, over Germany

Pvt. Roger Cushman; Feb. 1945, in Germany

Sgt. Dale Enderson; Oct. 1944, near Borneo

Pfc. Bernard Grow; 1944, in Japan prison camp, he was on Battan Death March

Clyde Harrington

Sgt. Albert Kahler; Aug 1944, in France

Lt. Maurice Miller; Dec 11 1942, off the coast of Porto Rico

Seaman 2nd Class Leonard Moore; August 1942, on the cruiser U.S.S. Vincennes

PFC. Kenneth Mc Coy; May 1945, Okinawa

Pvt Milton Simpson; September 1944, in France

Capt. Ralph Wade; April 23 1944, Shick Hospital, Washington

Seaman 2nd Class Jerry Wyland; May 1944, South Pacific

In addition to the many heroes from Terril that served in WW II. We have a few unique situations.  Three Terril brothers Chris, Louis and William Nachtigall served in WW I. In WW II we also had three Terril brothers serve, Leonard, Everett and Willard Zitterich. The Nachtigalls are the Zitterichs uncles. We had a father and son serve in WW II, George and Howard Sands. Another Terril resident, Joseph Faisst, fought for the Germans in WW I and for the United States in WW II.

The legion met regularly until the start of WW II, at which time it disbanded until our boys came home from the war in 1945. After the war, they met at the Terril Record, Everett Zitterichs'  building and finally in the basement of the Stratman building . They called the basement the "Legion  Club Room". A board was appointed to oversee the Club room and a manager hired. Rumor has it that there was high stakes poker and one armed bandits in the Club Room .

In 1948 the Legion empowered the Building Committee to purchase the Stratman building for $7,000.00 or less. The building wasn't purchased at this time. In 1949 the legion voted that Walsh Post 432 cooperate with the Library board in building a Memorial Building, and contribute $5000.00 for said building with equal representation for governing. When the building was about completed the legion found out that for their contribution to the memorial building they got to use a room for their meetings that wasn't much bigger than a closet. This caused hard feelings between the Legion and the Library Board that is still evident today. Dues in 1949 were $3.00.

The legion purchased its present building (the Stratman building) in 1956 for $800.00. They moved from the basement into the west side of the building and began putting in many many hours and money fixing up the building. Dues were raised to $5.00. Since 1956 many improvements have been made to the building. The Legionaries knew that the years leading up to the centennial would be busy ones so we needed to start early getting our building in shape and looking nice for the centennial. We invested $10,000.00 in paint, new windows and making the Legion wheel chair assessable. Dues were $20.00.

In 1986 the legion started it's Avenue of Flags. On Memorial Day weekend we hang our flags at the cemetery. Then on Memorial Day we hold a program to dedicate any new flags we have and honor our fallen Comrades. The Avenue of Flags has grown over the years to a total of 89, 32 from WW I, 44 from WW II, 7 from Korea and 6 from Vietnam.

Thru the years the legion has sponsored or helped with many things, some including dances, bingo, baseball teams, Boy Scouts, baseball trips and bowling teams. We have helped with projects like putting the roof on the Hangar, cementing the town streets and Christmas baskets for the elderly. The Legion has held fund raisers for football helmets, the band to go to Washington, needy individuals and the centennial. In addition we have opened our building to other organization like 4 H clubs, Kiwanis, After Prom, the churches, 1st Responders, Cemetery Association, Pre School, and the Centennial committee.

In 1992 the Terril American Legion was granted a charter for the Sons Of The American Legion. This is a project that has changed and we hope will continue to change the legion for the better. They currently have twenty six members and Craig Von Ehwegen has been serving as the Commander. The S.A.L. has been active with the school teaching flag etiquette programs, dedicating a flag to the school on the first day of school, holding farm safety classes and providing a color guard to the school when needed. All the legionaries are very proud of our Sons of the American Legion and look forward to many good memories.

Commanders:

1920   PETE JUDKINS, 1921   DR. SCHOOLEY, 1922   CW LOUDAHL, 1923   ALBERT COLEMAN, 1924   OLIVER RENO, 1925   KANSTRAP SOPHAS, 1926   GLENN SLINGERLAND, 1927   J E GIBSON, 1928-1930 MISSING, 1931   OLIVER RENO

1932-33  JIM JENSON, 1934   HENRY BUHR, 1935   OLIVER JOHNSON, 1936   RALPH CUTSHALL, 1937-45 MISSING, 1946   BUGIE ANDERSON, 1947   OLIVER JOHNSON

1948   BILL PEDERSON, 1949   SAM ZENDER, 1950   OLIVER JOHNSON, 1955   STANLEY NELSON, 1956-57   TOM RUBIS, 1958   ED WOLLNER, 1959   JOE FELDMAN

1960   BILL MEHAN, 1961   DR. MOORE, 1962   LARRY MCVICKER, 1963   DARIAL DETERMAN, 1964   DARWIN WILL, 1965   VIRGIL SCHMELLING, 1966   DELMAR TURPIN, 1967   DON VON EHWEGEN, 1968   BOB STRUBE, 1969   DON TORRESON

1970   JOE MURPHY, 1971   DUANE VAN KLEEK, 1972   BOB NESS, 1973   DENNIS JACKSON, 1974   LEANORD ZITTERICH, 1975   HAROLD SCHNELL, 1976   BERNARD KELLEY, 1977   GUY HOPPE, 1978   STEVE OLESON, 1979   LYMAN BAILEY, 1980   RON ZELINSKY, 1981   ELWOOD CUSHMAN, 1982-83   GORDY TONDERUM, 1984   GAYLYN KRIEGER, 1985-86   LONNIE PEDERSON, 1987-88   TIM MATTHEWS, 1989   MARV SWENSON, 1990-94   JERRY NELSON

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________